Exercise is an important partner to eating well in your journey to discover a "Brand New You." By following a balanced exercise routine, you'll get into better shape and reap the benefits of an active lifestyle, benefits like a healthier body weight, stronger bones, improved cholesterol levels, enhanced self-esteem, reduced stress, and a more positive outlook on life.
10 Simple Strategies to Increase Activity
Being more active doesn’t have to be a formal affair. You can sneak exercise into all kinds of activities you’re doing already. Start with these ideas, then find even more opportunities to get moving.
- Add steps to your commute – Park at the far end of the parking lot, or get off the bus one stop early and walk to your destination.
- Take the stairs – If you have many flights to climb, walk halfway up, then take the elevator to your destination.
- Make movable meals – Grab your lunch and walk to a nearby park to enjoy your meal outside.
- Go cordless – Walk around the house while talking on a cordless phone.
- Choose active entertainment – Play sports with your family or friends instead of watching a movie.
- Walk the dog – If you don’t have a dog, offer to walk the neighbor’s.
- Take a commercial break – Take a quick walk around the house when commercials come on during your favorite show. Challenge yourself to get as many steps as you can.
- Walk at the airport – Keep walking instead of using the moving sidewalks or just waiting at your gate.
- Make chores count – Wash the car instead of driving through a car wash; rake leaves or shovel snow instead of using a blower.
- Run errands on foot – Try walking to the corner grocery store when you need only a few items.